The Agrarian School Of Viseu (ESAV), officially established on December 19th, 1994 (DL no. 304/94), is one of the organic units of the Polytechnic Institute of Viseu, integrated in the Portuguese public higher education network, at the level of polytechnic education. This gave continuity to the tradition, since the City of Viseu had the privilege of being a pioneer in Agricultural Education in Portugal through the creation of the Agriculture Practical School of Viseu, by Decree of December 16th, 1852.
ESAV intends to transmit and disseminate knowledge to train students with a high level of competences in the areas of agrarian, food and veterinary sciences; to promote applied research and its dissemination, cultural, scientific and technological exchange with similar national and international institutions and the relationship with the business community in order to contribute to the development of the region and the country.
ESAV is located in a prime area of the city of Viseu, in Quinta da Alagoa, with approximately 23 hectares. Having numerous cultures, standing out the vineyard, the orchard and the olive grove. It also has livestock production structures for sheep, goats, cattle, poultry and rabbits, as well as a Veterinary Nursing Center and laboratories, with technologies that allow the acquisition of skills in various technical-scientific fields.